5 Bedrooms, 3.5 Baths (Sleeps 14-16)
See the VRBO Page to check availability and online calendar at http://www.vrbo.com/219225
See the newest Photos from 2010 Here !
(& See many more interior photo links below,
and click on any of them for a larger version! )
Rent this beautiful nearly-new house for less than half the rate of comparable places in Ocean City or Rehoboth,
and escape the crowds, traffic, long lines, and noise!
(BTW - This house was being carefully built in 2009 by Dreambuilders Inc. of Milford DE, and they did a GREAT job! They are online at:
This is the place for you to get away to! The house is nearly new - built in 2009, and perfect for a relaxing family vacation. Enjoy romantic walks on miles of empty beach. This house is directly on the Delaware Bay, and also overlooks the marsh and wetlands with birds and wildlife. Here is a video clip on Youtube of the view from the beach! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJuhzI9Z5E
The upper level deck is very large and has great views of the Delaware Bay, sunrises, moonrise, and the Milky Way (The Delaware Bay shores has virtually no night glow to hide the stars, so bring a telescope!). Check out the Youtube video from the upper deck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__m-LGCr8E
The lower level also has a screened in porch and a Game/SPA room with a 5-person (seated) Hot Tub, a Foosball/game table, and a TV. This room opens to the main hallway and all bedrooms as well as the screened in deck with a hammock.
The Kitchen includes a breakfast bar and a double oven for the larger meals when needed, a bread machine and an electric ice cream maker, and the other standard appliances. The great room includes comfortable couches (Sleeps 2 More), flat screen TV, an over-sized coffee table for games. Dining area seats 14 and has 10 comfortable chairs (great for games or meetings!)
Sleeping Arrangements are:
BR #1: Queen. (sleeps 2)
BR #2: Queen. (2)
BR #3: Twin Bunk, Twin Bunk (4)
BR #4: Full + Twin Bunk, Twin + Trundle (5).
MBR: King (2)
Total : Sleeps 15
Rental Period & Supplies:
This rental is SUNDAY to SUNDAY so as to allow you to miss the bulk of the traffic and make it to at least one more summer swim meet if you need to. Rental does NOT include bed sheets, pillowcases, soap, or paper goods (ie, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins and such).
NO PETS - This is currently a NO PET rental, but we do own a dog ourselves and expect to have him there occasionally in the spring and fall.
If you have Dog allergies please look for another place to stay (sorry!).
Location & Distances:
South Bowers is located 2 hours south of Philadelphia and 2.5 hours East of Washington DC, and only 25 minutes from Dover AFB. It is one hour closer to DC than Rehoboth and two hours closer than Ocean City! From the Toll Booth head East on US Route 50 for 20 miles then turn left on MD 404 towards Rehoboth. Proceed 13.4 miles and exit at the Denton exit, MD 313.& 619. Take a left off the ramp and proceed a short way to a right turn on MD-14. Take a right onto MD-14 and travel 14 miles to Milford. Turn right on the DE 113 highway, then proceed North 1 mile onto the US-1 Highway. Go 1/2 mile until a redlight, and turn right onto Thompsonville Road, where there is a sign that says "South Bowers". Proceed to the beach, at the end of the road!!
South Bowers is one hour directly east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and is situated near Milford for convenient hassle-free shopping. Local day trip opportunities include:
2) Day fishing with the Bowers Beach fishing fleet: go to some of the best fishing spots on the Delaware Bay and bring home some dinner! (1/4 mile walk with special arrangement for pierside pickups, 20 minutes driving to the town and its fleet & eclectic restaurants). Reserve Fishing Boats online at:
Tradewinds II http://www.visitdelaware.com/attraction.htm?a=249 and Russells Fishing http://www.russellsfishing.com
3) Rehoboth Beach: enjoy the waves and the shops!
4) Lewes town, with neat shopping and beaches
5) Cape May NJ via the CM/Lewes Ferry. A quaint Victorian town with shopping and fun, and a historic home-made ice cream shop !
(and the Ferry ride is a blast! ( http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/ )
6) Harrington Racetrack & Casino (19 miles)
7) Dover Downs Racetrack & Casino (21 miles) ( http://www.delawarecasinos.com/ )
8) Prime Hook Nature Preserve (GREAT birding in the winter time!)
( http://www.fws.gov/northeast/primehook/publicuse.html ) and ( http://www.friendsofprimehook.org/education.htm )
Directions from our house: Follow the road out to the red-light at the Highway and go south (Left). At Milford Take Route 1 south (Rehoboth Beach). Approximately 15 mi south of Milford the first traffic light is the intersection of Route 1 and Route 16 (refuge sign posted). Turn left on State Route 16. Follow Route 16 east to toward Broadkill Beach. At 1.1 miles east turn left onto Turkle Pond Road. Follow Turkle Pond Road, 1.6 mi to office/visitor center.
9) Harrington DE (Antique shops, Train caboose & Agricultural Tractor museum for kids)
and the Delaware State Fair ! (July 23 to Aug 1, 2009, http://www.delawarestatefair.com )
10) Dover International Speedway, NASCAR Racing May 12-14 and Sep 29 to Oct 2,
( http://www.doverspeedway.com/ Go see the Monster Mile !! )
11) Killens Pond Water Park ( 14 miles, http://www.destateparks.com/kpsp/watrpark.htm)
12) If you have a boat and trailer, there is a convenient private ramp a half mile away (nominal drop fee applies).
16) Cape Henlopen State Park - Delaware's largest state park features roomy ocean beaches, coastal dunes, surfing, woodland trails, camping, military history, and some of the best fishing on the East Coast.
17) Bridgeville DE Apple Scrapple, Tentatively Oct. 7-9 2011, with 250 Craft vendors. http://www.applescrapple.com/directions.htm
18) Putt-Putt Golf in Milford, 10 minutes away.
19) Tasty-Freeze is on US-1 just 50m North of the corner of S. Bowers Road. (Out to the red-light, make a right, go 50 yards - on the right!).
20) Golfing! Try the Rookery ( 22mi, 42 min, http://www.rookerygolf.com/content/view/22/47/ ) or Johnathan's Landing (16 mi, 29 min http://www.jonathanslandinggolf.com/ )
21) Dover Air Force Base - Is your family service-member coming back from overseas to Dover AFB for some R&R? Want to stay in a nice house convenient to the base instead of a cramped hotel with no privacy? Make the week's reunion a memorable and relaxing event instead of a stressful rush. Stay at the beach!
22) If driving from DC, stop in Denton MD where there are several Antique shops just before the exit for 313. On Rt. 404, about 20 min from US-50.
23) If driving from DC, stop on Kent Island for lunch of Dinner on the way - great restaurants on the waterfront, and a great nature museum for children (West side of the Narrows Br).
Note that the Delaware Bay is a tidal bay and at South Bowers has virtually no unsafe undertow or strong waves except near the river entrances. This means body-surfing opportunities are limited (like, none) but the water is clean and calm. The semi-private beaches are NOT monitored however, so you need to be your own lifeguard even though there are also no real waves. The South Bowers area also has some of the cleanest water in the Delaware Bay!
See the vrbo web site for the availability calendar. Property # 219225
PLEASE EMAIL US VIA the VRBO web site, & initial check of availability.
Share this place with another part of your family and get a great deal! It is designed for two families to enjoy an old fashioned vacation together.
Interior Photos. Click on each one to see the full sized version!
Kitchen Area Great Room and Dining area Dining Area, Seating for 14 to 16